Sunday, May 30, 2010

Farmer's Market Dinners

This week I made two dinners with vegetables from the Molto Farmer's Market, which is by far the best farmer's market in Vegas. They have a huge variety of interesting vegetables you won't find elsewhere, as well as other artisanal foods. Unfortunately, it only goes on from 11-1 on Thursdays and is inconveniently located at the South end of Dean Martin.

The first dish I made was buccatini with Tuscan kale and morel mushrooms ($6 per 1/4 lb.) in a cream sauce. We added some yogurt to the sauce to lighten it up a bit, which worked surprisingly well. The Tuscan kale was something I hadn't come across before, and the small leaves made it perfect for a pasta dish.

The second dinner I made was a spinach, feta, and caramelized onion frittata. The spinach was wild and included purple leaves. Very pretty! I wish I could have purchased some of the Quail Hollow farm fresh eggs at the market but all of them were spoken for.

The unique selection of gorgeous vegetables at the Molto market inspires me to cook in a way supermarket produce does not. Plus, you don't have to worry about the presence of pesticides, waxes, or GMO's and it's much less expensive than Whole Foods. I highly recommend you include it as stop in your next grocery run, even if you have to leave work to do it. Just remember to go on the early side for the best selection. It's becoming quite popular!




No comments:

Post a Comment