Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Original Pancake House

On Friday I went to brunch with one of my favorite dining companions, my dad, to talk shop. We have been eating here together for a long time, and the OPH was also a favorite breakfast place in high school (how I miss those days of eating everything in sight and not gaining a pound). I know the Original Pancake House is pretty well known around town, and I'm sure a lot of people reading this have dined there at least once (with mixed reviews), but I feel I can give a fair assesment of the best dishes on (and off) the menu, so I'd like to share them. You really do have to know what to order here, since not everything is as good as the pancakes (i.e the eggs benedict - go to Payard's for this).

I feel the omelets are the best option, which is one reason anti-omelet Ian would rather go to the Egg and I (he's a 'breakfast skillet' kind of guy). The omelets here are tremendous, both in flavor and size. I love that if you have a willing dining companion you can split one and both be completely satiated for a reasonable price. Normally I opt for the Western or the spicy Fiesta omelet, but this time we had the Irish, which included their home made corned beef hash and cheddar cheese enveloped in fluffy eggs. It was scrumptious, and might be my new favorite. Since the omelets come with a side of pancakes or toast, I always get pancakes (who would get toast?) and I ALWAYS upgrade to something more interesting than the ordinary plain cakes. This gets more expensive if you are ordering alone here (not recommended, you'll get to look like the people around you), but if you are sharing, it is totally worth it. I really like the blueberry and coconut varieties, but this time we shared something particularly indulgent, bacon AND chocolate chip pancakes, served with nothing less than freshly whipped cream. This is not on the menu, and the waitress might look at you funny (as ours did) but I promise you'll like it. It is reminiscent of the Voges chocolate bar, Mo's Milk Chocolate Bacon Bar (also highly recommended), and packs a powerful punch with a few of Earth's finest offerings - sugar, flour, bacon, whipped cream, and of course, chocolate. I'm actually not a chocoholic by any means, but these pancakes steer me in that direction. If you're in the mood to be sinful, these will make you feel like the devil. You can wash it all down with a glass of freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, which are much better than juices offered at any other off-strip breakfast places.

To summarize, come here for the omelets, pancakes, corned beef hash, and juice - nothing else is that good.

Today's Food Rating:
Omelet: 8.5
Pancakes: 8.5

Restaurant Rating: 5.5

Would I come back?: DO CHICKENS LAY EGGS?








2 comments:

  1. Ok the Bacon Pancakes there are my absolute fav!! And I never even considered adding Chocolate Chips but that sounds right up my alley! Oh and you've got to try their Hot Chocolate...best in town :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have! It really is amazing. I also like Blueberry Hill's, but mostly because it comes with a cookie :-)

    ReplyDelete