Monday, March 8, 2010

Dinner at Home: Filet Mignon, Pasta, and Grilled Asparagus

I get very excited when I cook a steak well because usually I hand that task over to Ian the expert. Last night I cooked filet mignon from the Butcher Shop and it turned out really well. It was pink in the center and evenly cooked, but I cheated by asking Ian to confirm that it was cooked to the proper temperature before I took them off the grill (lovingly, he said that wasn't cheating). After I took the steaks off the stove to rest I used the grill to lightly char the asparagus. The pasta I made was imported from Italy and I bought it at Roma Deli. I made a simple tomato sauce using San Marzano tomatoes (available at Italian delis or Whole Foods and a must for great marinara), bacon, Parmesan rind, celery, onion (I didn't have any carrots or I would have added them), and a splash of Beringer Cabernet. I love to go out but nothing can beat a satisfying and homey Sunday dinner at home!

Tonight's Food Rating: 8

No comments:

Post a Comment