Friday, March 12, 2010

Naked City Sandwiches

Can somebody please tell me what all the hype going around Naked City Sandwiches is about? This tiny sandwich shop on Las Vegas Blvd. was recently opened by two chefs, one of whom is the chef at Diego restaurant in the MGM. Ian and I read a very positive review in the Weekly awhile back and decided to try it out. They were applauded for their house-cured and smoked meats, and the fact that everything ranging from pasta salad to pickles is made in house, except the bread. Ian is a big sandwich lover so was excited that there might be a unique new sandwich shop in town, and close to our house at that. The first time we ordered the Naked Chopped salad ($7.99) and the Naked Veggie sandwich ($8.99), which were both disappointing. The salad wasn't chopped at all but came with massive slices of so-so meat and a few boring vegetables. The Naked Veggie was served on semi-fresh pumpernickle bread that was so thick you hardly tasted anything but. The filling wasn't good either, with unseasoned veggies and a terrible eggplant "stuffing" (as if the sandwich needed more bread). We were disheartened to say the least but today decided to give it another try. They were still new when we first tried it so perhaps they needed some time to adjust. This time Ian got the Royal sandwich on a kaiser roll, that was still way too thick. The hot cappicola inside was good but basically it was an average sandwich that was too heavy on the bread. It came with a side of pasta salad that could have been great if it wasn't under-done and under-seasoned, a side of homemade giardinera (not bad), and a habanero pickle (spicy and tasty). I'm currently feeling under the weather so I ordered the tortilla soup ($3.99) which was hands down the worst tortilla soup I've ever had. It was completely one dimensional and tasted like tomato paste mixed with hot water. It is prepared with tons of avocado chunks (who likes hot avocado?) and the toppings consisted of cheddar cheese cubes, sour cream with chilies, and stale tortilla chips. You would think that a chef of a Mexican restaurant could make a decent tortilla soup but this was inedible. I had two bites and threw the rest away. I called to let the girl at the counter know how disappointed I was but all she could say was, "Did you add all the toppings?" "Yes, but it probably would have been better if I hadn't" I thought. Nothing could make that soup better. What Ian and I don't understand is why this sandwich place that is mediocre at best is getting all these rave reviews on Yelp! and other sites. If anyone has had a good experience there I'd love to hear it, along with a detailed explanation as to why. It seems to me that they need to stop spending so much time curing all their meats and start spending time making the food taste good.

Today's Food Rating: 3 (would have been much lower if all we ordered was the soup)
Would I go back? I THINK WE GAVE THEM A FAIR SHOT SO I HAVE NO PLANS ON RETURNING UNLESS SOMEONE TELLS ME ABOUT SOMETHING GOOD THEY HAD THERE.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! This is unfortunate to hear because I had heard a ton of great stuff about this sandwich shoppe, as well.

    ReplyDelete