Friday, February 26, 2010

Food Finds: Dyer's Popcorn

This afternoon as Ian and I were walking out of our new insurance office on Durango and Flamingo we noticed a little popcorn shop next door called Dyer's. Of course, I had to go in and see what it had to offer. I was tempted by the sign that said "Chicago Stlyle Gourmet Popcorn," because I love the famous Garrett's Popcorn of Chicago and I wanted to see how Dyer's compared. Immediately I noticed the little empty sample cups on a table to the left, waiting to be filled with one of the four flavors on display. Most were artificially colored, which could be the reason the shop was named as it was. The gentlemen who worked there was nice enough to let us try some of the cinnamon and white cheddar (not bad), and offered the banana (gross), which I refused. There is nothing I hate more than artificial banana flavor. They had a variety of other flavors as well including pena colada (yes, that's how they spell it), caramel pecan delight, and jalapeno (sadly wasn't ready). We settled on buying a small bag ($4) of their best seller, cheddar and caramel (pictured left). This is a good version of what you get in the big tins so popular at Christmas time. The artificial cheddar was really cheesy and the caramel corn had a rich caramel flavor and a little snap of the sugar coating when you bit in. Was is as good as Garrett's? No, but it was still pretty good popcorn, and a good start for Vegas. It might be nice to bring to an office, or, Ian had the idea of making popcorn balls with it, which sounds like a good idea.

Today's Popcorn Rating: 7
Would I go back? IF I WAS GOING TO MAKE POPCORN BALLS (MAYBE) OR I FELT LIKE I NEEDED A FEW EXTRA CALORIES (NOT LIKELY)

No comments:

Post a Comment