Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dinner at Home: Lamb Chops, Roasted Cauliflower, and Tomato Salad

Ian's grandma Minnie told me she missed my posts of our dinners at home, so here is the latest one we've made. Ian divided a rack of incredible New Zealand lamb in two parts and seared it on the stove. When the fat started to render he added fresh rosemary and oregano from my brother's garden, as well as some garlic. My personal Master of Meat finished it in the oven alongside my roasted cauliflower from the Farmer's Market in Brentwood until it was juicy and perfectly cooked, then sliced it into chops after letting it rest a good ten minutes.

The roasted cauliflower dish is so simple but so satisfying, and fairly healthy. I pre-heated the oven to 375 degrees and lined a cookie sheet with foil for easy clean up. I broke the cauliflower into 1 inch florets, spread them out in one layer on the sheet, and drizzled it all with olive oil, tossing to coat. After ten minutes in the oven I tossed it around again. It didn't take too long (maybe 10-15 minutes), and when it started to get brown I sprinkled it with Muenster cheese and broiled it a couple of minutes more. I've made it with Parmesean, too, and it's equally good (tip: adding salt towards the end of the process will help the florets to brown a little better).

We also had a salad made with heirloom tomatoes from the Farmer's Market that tasted like candy (go buy some before they're out of season!), cilantro and crunchy cucumber from my brother's garden, and slivers of red onion. The dressing was simply lemon juice and olive oil. Because the tomatoes were so juicy, a gazpacho like liquid developed at the bottom of the bowl and made for a nice snack the next day.


No comments:

Post a Comment