Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Komol

Komol is my new favorite Thai restaurant. Unfortunately, it is overshadowed by it's commercial center neighbor, Lotus of Siam, which is a shame. Not only do they have tons of vegetarian and gluten-free options, but the food is unique, addictive, and reasonably priced. Many dinner entrees are under $10, though I've been going earlier in the day when I sometimes take advantage of the $6.95 lunch specials.

The dish that intrigued me the most was the Herbal Salad ($9.95), a massive mound of chopped lemongrass, tofu, green and red onions, cashews, apples, carrots and coconut mixed with hot pepper and lime juice (strangely enough, the only herb in it is basil). It's a combination I've not seen elsewhere and it is executed perfectly. It's texturally complex, a little sweet, a lot healthy, and has a heck of a kick. These happen to be attributes I find incredibly appealing in a dish, so I rank this as one of the top salads in Vegas.

The Penang curry, which I've had with both plump shrimp ($8.95) and just vegetables ($7.95), is coco-nutty, filling, and AWESOME, but if you come here without getting the curry peanut sauce ($2.50) you've done yourself an incredible injustice. You can eat this on a salad with the lunch specials, or order it as the perfect accoutrement to the ultra healthy and ultra herbacious spring rolls ($4.50). Unfortunately, Ian's favorite Thai dish, larb, wasn't done as well as at our other favorite Thai places in town, but I felt redeemed by the home-made non-dairy coconut ice cream (should be labeled as sorbet). This was an interesting concoction that I couldn't get enough of, but then again I like weird stuff.

I can't vouch for every dish on the extensive menu, but I would feel comfortable venturing from my recommendations on your second visit.

P.S. This is an authentic Thai place so if you think you're a lover of level 10 heat, go for 6 or 7 instead.

Today's Food Ratings:
Penang Curry: 9
Herbal Salad: 9.5
Curry Peanut Sauce: 9.5
Spring Rolls: 7
Larb: 6.5
Home-made Coconut Ice Cream: 8.5

Would I go back? I'M THINKING ABOUT GOING TOMORROW... BESIDES THE FACT THAT I LOVE THE CHARM OF THEIR ENGRAVED WOODEN MENUS, PERSONALIZED PLATES AND (STAMPED) NAPKINS, THIS PLACE IS A FOODIE GEM. GREAT, HEALTHY, INEXPENSIVE FOOD IS HARD TO COME BY, AND KOMOL DOES IT INCREDIBLY WELL.

Peanut Sauce on lunch special salad
Penang Shrimp
menu
healthy Spring Rolls
Larb
Vegetable Penang
Coconut Ice Cream (minus the cream)

No comments:

Post a Comment