Thursday, September 9, 2010

Miko's Sushi

You’ll go gaga for the gyoza at Miko’s Izakaya Sushi and Tapanese restaurant on Blue Diamond and Windmill. The hospitable owner of the restaurant makes them herself, surprising you by using turkey rather than pork. I’m doubtful that turkey is traditionally used in gyoza, but Miko made me think otherwise, so I guarantee you won’t miss the oink one bit. The flavors of the meaty morsels were clean with mild accents of ginger and soy, and the chewy noodle exterior reminded me more of thick flat Chinese noodles than wonton wrappers. The friendly old man in her culinary team of four steamed and crisped them for me, then served them with a soy dipping sauce. I’ll be back for these very soon ($5).

The gyoza aren’t the only redeeming dish on the menu by any means. The thick slices of hamachi I ordered were expertly cut by the seasoned sushi chef (he’s worked in some noteworthy places and used to write a sushi blog) and imbued with that subtle, delicate flavor you want from your sashimi. Since I was by myself I loved that I could order it in a mini portion of it - three beautifully garnished perfect pieces ($5.25).

I completed my sampling with an order of lightly battered shrimp and vegetable tempura ($5) that were served with a dashi broth rivaling that of Raku. The portion was large for the price and the veggies accompanying the shrimp were prepared better than at other places offering the same thing.

Everything I had made me want to come back to try more of her creations, and it’s certainly a place you can eat well at on a budget. They offer half orders of all their rolls that start at $3.75, appetizer portions of many items, and, if you get there before seven, you can also take advantage of half price sake and Japanese beers on tap.

Miko’s
500 E. Windmill Lane, Ste. 165
s89123

Today’s Food Ratings:
Hamachi: 9.5
Gyoza: 9.5
Tempura: 8.5

Would I go back? EVEN THOUGH I DON’T LIVE NEARBY THIS NEIGHBORHOOD SPOT I’M SURE I’LL MAKE UP AN EXUSE TO COME BACK SOON.

Note: Miko’s is only open for dinner and closed on Monday’s. This is actually a great thing because with just one kitchen crew they can ensure consistency.



No comments:

Post a Comment